Wednesday, September 1, 2010

La Mirada #16-Wraith

-self portrait, photo-

Bad news: My Thyrogen test shows that my thyroid cancer marker went up-they say I'm in the group of people for whom 1 radioactive iodine treatment after thyroidectomy does not get all the bad guys. Still, since my ultrasound was clear and my marker-values stay okay while suppressed, they will wait&see what happens ... So, I'm in the 'wait&see' mode from now on. There's something there, my blood says so, though we can't locate it (yet?) ...

September is Thyroid Cancer Awareness Month. I'm painfully aware again myself. But I also know it's important to spread the word. Next week, I'm doing a special post for the Dear Thyroid Blog Tour joining in to raise awareness. Dear Thyroid is a thyroid literary support site. It's written by thyroid patients, for thyroid patients. They invite patients with all kinds of thyroid ailments to write a letter to their thyroid as a way of healing and coping and releasing fear and irritation and other upsetting emotions.

Last night while I lay awake, I felt one bubbling up:

Dear Thyroid,

I was very sorry to hear yesterday that we did not completely eradicate you by excising you and bombarding you with radioactive iodine of 100mCurie.
As a young girl, I admired Mme Curie a lot, so I imagined she'd be a great ally while we were trying to nuke you out of my system. On the other hand and in some distorted way, it all makes sense. You're a part of me. You're feisty.
Still, I wouldn't get too confident if I were you.
Don't even think for one second that you got it made -wherever you are.

I'm way bigger than you.
And I'm a hell of a lot feistier!



William Evertson said...

Word !!!!!!

Susan Shulman said... xxoo

Dean Grey said...

(((HUGS))) Ria!

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!


Momo Luna said...

Sorry to read this Ria. I wish you lots of strength.

Ria Vanden Eynde said...

thx guys! x