Sunday, January 11, 2009

Paisaje interior #1-Inner Landscape #1

Acrylic on paper, 9 by 10 inches, framed behind glass.

This piece started out as merely an exercise: painting a semi-abstract starting from a collage. I remember cutting out and assembling different parts of images from magazines (fabric, hair, food, and what have you) towards a coherent picture, all the while thinking I was fragmented the same way myself and lost amongst the pieces dropped with the cancer diagnosis. Before I was diagnosed, I did a myriad of different things. I have a Ph.D. in mathematics, taught it, did a Gestalt therapy training, studied Applied Ethics, Buddhism, ... Between my surgeries I often thought : "5 or so degrees and what good are they to me now..." So I guess it belongs here after all... The painting hangs in my hallway, I look at it often. I'm getting to see its diverse fragments as part of an inner landscape, it makes sense as a momentary snapshot of my inner world. The other day, I looked at it and noticed a waterfall on the right... I thought: "I have a waterfall in my inner world..." Yeah...

No comments: